10 Best Treks in Nepal
With Nepal’s incredible mountains, there is no doubt that Nepal is a trekker’s paradise. The country, despite its small size, homes several beautiful peaks that are grand and astounding. And these incredible Himalayas are the prime reason for the thriving tourism industry of Nepal as well. Besides, in Nepal, trekkers can find every kind of trekking trail for all trekkers. Moreover, the quote, “different road leads to beautiful destinations,” perfectly matches Nepal’s stunning geographical features. Various trekking regions of Nepal offers diverse adventure to intrepid trekkers, and novice trekkers can find solace amidst the foothills that overlook majestic peaks. If you know your travel preference, trekking will be gratifying with all these prospects. Check our list of best treks in Nepal that has been attracting traveling for a long time. These treks would inspire you to get on that road that leads to the lap of massive mountains.
Everest Base Camp Trek
Major attractions of Everest Base Camp trek:
- Hiking through serene alpine forest soaking up the fine views of majestic peaks of the world.
- Navigate the trail past charming Sherpa villages and taste their culture and traditions
- Savor the up-close views of notable peaks such as Everest, Cho Oyu, Lhotse, Nuptse, and Makalu, and so on.
- Explore the religious influence through a tour of remarkable Tengboche monasteries and others on the trail
Significant concerns of Everest base camp trek:
- Busy trail during peaks season, which is spring and autumn season of Nepal
- Possibility of flight delays and cancellation
- The only alternative to avoid flight delays and cancellations is opting for the classic Everest base camp trek route.
Many check off and adds a journey to Everest Base Camp Trek every year in their bucket list. This ultimate destination brings thrill-seekers to the lap of the world’s highest mountain- Mt. Everest (8848.86m). The Himalayas are not only the sole reason for thousands of trekkers traversing this particular trail. Every year travelers proceed for this journey to taste the authentic Sherpa culture blending finely with the magnificent scenery in the background. This fantastic combination is one reason for this EBC to be one of the best treks in Nepal among many trekking journeys. Even more, the trekking route ranks amongst the best hikes in the world.
Furthermore, anyone familiar with the Everest region might know that the trekking route goes through Sagarmatha National Park. The park houses several species of flora and flora. Since the people of this region are adhesive towards their religion, they condemn killing animals. Similarly, religious shrines such as chortens, Gumbas, Mani walls, prayer flags dots the trekking route. Moreover, massive peaks in the background add more finesse to the vibrancy of these religious shrines. Astounding views of Ama Dablam, Makalu, and Lhotse walk with you all through this enchanting Himalayan journey.
Walking past quaint Sherpa villages, I experience their authentic culture and traditions. Tibetan Buddhism majorly influences the cultures and traditions of Sherpa tribes, and you will notice in their religious practice. Similarly, visit the sacred Tengboche monastery to feel the spiritual ambiance of the holy site. Relax to the famous Sherpa town of Namche Bazaar and visit Sherpa Culture Museum to know more about their culture and tradition. Overall, the Himalayas will win over your hearts with its simply alluring natural beauty.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Major attractions of Annapurna Base Camp trek
- ABC trek is a gradual descent; thus, trekkers have plenty of chance to accommodate the surroundings
- Starting the journey with an overnight stop at the bustling city of Pokhara
- The trekking trail follows the charming ethnic villages settled on the foothills of Annapurna massif
- Short hike to Poon Hill to capture the scenic sunrise sight over the giant Annapurna range
- Trek under a canopy of mixed forests through the Annapurna Sanctuary
- Short layover at Machhapuchre Base Camp to watch intriguing views of mountains closely
- The fascinating Annapurna Base Camp offering awe-inspiring views of Annapurna I, II, III and South, Gangapurna, Gandharva Chuli, Machapuchare, and many more
Significant concerns of Annapurna Base Camp Trek:
- During peak seasons, the trail gets busy with trekkers, and so do teahouses.
When trekking anywhere in the world, there are few matters one considers before choosing their destination. These factors might include difficulty level, accessibility, scenery, adventure streak, among many other things. And fitting best in every aspect is the Annapurna Base Camp trek of Nepal. It is one of those best treks in Nepal that is popular for being accessible, beautiful mountain backdrop, adventure flair, and cultural interactions. With these attributes, the Annapurna Base Camp trek is easily the best in Nepal.
The classic trekking route of Nepal- Annapurna Base Camp Trek goes past hillside villages, terraced fields, and dense jungles of rhododendron trees. All while walking past these fantastic features, the jaw-dropping mountain views shadow the trekkers. The amphitheater of mountains will accompany you all through the trek to reach the outstanding Annapurna Base Camp. The grandeur of Annapurna massif and neighboring glaciers will make up a splendid picture.
On the whole, it is a perfect journey that perfectly meshes the engaging culture with awe-inspiring views of mountains in the background.
Upper Mustang Trek
Major attractions of Upper Mustang Trek
- A culture still alive and thriving
- Trans Himalayas shadowing the sparsely settled villages
- People still beaming with huge smiles despite remote conditions and lack of infrastructures
Significant concerns of Upper Mustang Trek
- Not allowed for solo trekkers and independent travelers
- It gets too windy during mid-day
Upper Mustang Trek offers different scenes than other trekking trails of Nepal. The trekking region is a restricted area of Nepal, and Nepal’s best hidden kept secret until it was open for exploration in 1992. Decades of isolation aided in preserving its ancient culture and heritage of Upper Mustang, and most traverse to see these features.
The colorful traveling space of Nepal lies in the rain shadow district, which brings about a dry desert-like scene. The territory intently takes after the Tibetan cultures presenting features of the best treks in Nepal. The lofty scenes of mountains like Nilgiri, Dhaulagiri, and Annapurna leave its observers entranced. Moreover, the vibrancy of Lo Manthang also permits us to observe the grandness of ancient Tibetan culture prevalent in these areas.
Immerse in the profound vibe of Upper Mustang to discover the predominance of Tibetan Buddhism. Visit the old caverns, cloisters, chortens, and see rock artistic creations. Likewise, watch the prayer flags shudder in the wind and climb past old Mani walls before descending to various villages. Lastly, it lets travelers a chance to taste unique cultures and exclusive opportunities to relish them.
Manaslu Circuit Trek
Major attractions of Manaslu Circuit Trek
- A pristine trekking trail where the medieval way of life persists
- Magical ambiance of lush hills backed by the towering peaks such as Manaslu, Lamjung Himal, Himal Chuli, Buddha Himal, and many more
- Crossing incredible mountain passes such as Rupin la pass and Larkya La pass
- Traversing through traditional villages and abundantly flourishing Manaslu Conservation Area, which is home to animals like snow leopard, Pika, and many more
The primary concern of Manaslu Circuit Trek
- Cannot travel alone as this is also a restricted trekking area
- Risk of altitude sickness
Stroll in the less trampled trek route and wonder about the incredible mountain scenery. Manaslu Circuit Trek is an arduous journey, so you should be sensibly fit. Stuff up for the daring Larkya La Pass, which rewards you with sensational perspectives of the mountains. Strolling on the precarious incline of the mountain pass is hard, while a few parts loaded up with ice make it more challenging. The excellent views on Manaslu, Lamjung Himal, and Annapurna II will be satisfying.
You will travel to Manaslu Conservation Area, which highlights outlandish Himalayan greenery. Your traveling course goes through one of the far-off spaces of Nepal, the Nubri Valley. The territory is immaculate by modernization, and their everyday lives aren’t entirely different than ancient times. Individuals around here practice Buddhism, and their way of working is traditional and medieval.
Therefore, a journey to Manaslu Circuit is a way to look at the remote lifestyle of people living in the lower reach of mountains. While observing remoteness is one of the significant aspects of this journey, pristine natural surroundings highlight the travel. Thus, with the accumulation of these two aspects, the Manaslu Circuit trek is simply one of the best treks in Nepal.
Annapurna Circuit Trek
Major attractions of Annapurna Circuit Trek:
- A spectacular journey from lowlands to Trans Himalayas
- Dry and arid village of Manang and a chance to observe their life in a remote and challenging environment
- Visit one of the holiest temples – Muktinath temple of Hindu and Buddhist followers and explore the beautiful Jomsom
- The journey traverses through the banks of Kali Gandaki River, which adorned the deepest gorge of the world- Kali Gandaki Gorge
- An exhilarating experience of crossing the Thorang La pass (and the stunning view of the mountains from the top of the key (5416m)
Primary Concern of Annapurna Circuit Trek
- The crowd can be off-putting during peak seasons
- Altitude sickness is another issue to consider because the journey takes you over 5000 meters.
Set out on an exemplary long trip with Annapurna Circuit Trek that gives you an understanding of the topographical variety of Nepal. You will start your journey from remote towns and will meander through the thick wilderness. The landscape will change gradually; sparse hills will change into arid hills against soaring snowy mountains.
Crossing the Thorong La Pass will be testing, however, an enriching experience. After the mountain pass, a great perspective on transcending mountains will welcome you. The outstanding views of Dhaulagiri, Annapurna Massif, and Manaslu will greet you, and the spirit of seeing all-encompassing pictures will merit all the difficulty.
Moreover, the desert-like terrain of Manang valley gives off a feeling that you are walking on a Tibetan plateau. You will be hiking across Kali Gandaki Gorge, which is the deepest gorge in the world and stroll past the revered temple of Muktinath. The temple is sacred to Hindus and Buddhists. Thus, you will see many people waiting for their turn for different rites and rituals. All these aspects make the Annapurna Circuit trek- the best treks in Nepal. All in all, Annapurna Circuit Trek is like the combo of trekking in two diverse geographical terrains of Nepal. These prospects have been attracting trekkers for decades to experience local mountain culture and incredible scenery.
Annapurna Panorama Trek
Major attractions of Annapurna Panorama Trek:
- A journey suitable for all type of travelers
- Quick and short escape that takes you to the villages surrounded by huge mountains and glaciers
- The 360-degree view from of the grand Annapurna range and capture sunrise view over its ridges
- Culturally affluent towns, with unique tradition and rituals
Major Concerns of Annapurna Panorama Trek
- Crowd escaper would find this trek route to be a bit touristy.
The perfect destination to enhance the trekking experience, the Annapurna Panorama trek is suitable for all adventurers. Given that, the journey is also best as a family journey with kids. Striding up to Poon Hill, at the height of 3,210 meters, is a notable feature of the Annapurna Panorama trek. Appreciate the 360-degree perspective on mountains, including Annapurna Massif, Fishtail Peak, Dhaulagiri, and Hiunchuli. An ethereal view of sunrise over the Himalayas from Poon Hill will stay clear in your memory.
Climb through a path with rhododendron trees; the beautiful blossoms of rhododendron make way for life in spring. Journey past great green wilderness, terraced cultivates, and enchanting towns. Your journeying trail takes you to the cities occupied by Gurung and Magars. Drench in the nearby culture and experience warm neighborhood cordiality.
In essence, Annapurna Panorama Trek is a quick and straightforward journey that amasses the grand Himalayas with rural ethnic culture.
Mardi Himal Trek
Major attractions of Mardi Himal Trek
- The path goes through thick forests home to various flora and fauna
- A large portion of the route goes through verdant woods, yet the second you leave the timberland, you are invited to the beautiful sights of Annapurna massif, Machhapuchhre, and Dhaulagiri
- The outing continues through distant Rai, Limbu, and Chhetri settlements arranged amid rhododendron hillocks and Himalayan fields
- An opportunity to appreciate the neighborhood ethnic culture of the Rai and Limbu while passing the towns and gives you a knowledge into the assorted culture and customs
- Walk around the roads of Pokhara, which is generally well known for remaining alive till late around evening time
Major Concerns of Mardi Himal Trek:
- Very important to stick with the itinerary because the trek route is off-the-beaten-path where human settlement is minimal.
- The risk of altitude sickness persists as it involves hiking quite long hours on some days.
Mardi Himal Trek is known as a secret jewel of the Annapurna locale and takes you more profound into the Annapurna district. Mardi Himal Trek was officially open in 2012 for trekking but was popular amongst avid trekkers in the beginning. Slowly with the growth in technology, most became acquainted with the splendid beauty of the region. Moreover, the ubiquity of the Mardi Himal Trek is that it lets you appreciate the shocking Himalayas in a brief timeframe. Additionally, Mardi Himal lies just underneath the famous Fishtail Peak. Thus, it offers the best close-up view of mountains. Admire the excellent perspective of Mardi Himal, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, and Hiunchuli.
Stroll past curious slope towns and crop fields influencing alongside a breeze. Further, you will stroll through a thick woodland that opens up to an edge. An exciting ridgeline walk along the magnificent Himalayan perspectives awakens a photographic artist inside you. Appreciate the dazzling dawns and nightfall’s over the Himalayas, where the cold mountains sparkle like gold. Social inundation is a fundamental piece of the journeys of Nepal. You will be going through towns with various ethnic gatherings like Gurung, Ghale, and Brahmins. The journeying course is yet to contact by the dash of commercialization so enjoy the fantastic trip when you can.
Langtang Valley Trek
Major attractions of Langtang Valley Trek:
- Langtang National Park is home to rare Himalayan flora and fauna, and the trail passes through it.
- It is one of the Himalayan trails that is closest to Kathmandu.
- Experience the authentic Tamang Culture
- The journey takes you across lush yak pastures and yaks grazing on them.
- Spectacular all-encompassing views of Langtang Himal, Langtang Lirung, Dorje Lakpa and many more
Primary Concern of Langtang Valley Trek:
- The Langtang Valley Trek is a moderate journey. However, most tend to skip the itinerary and rush the trip. Although it is an easy to moderate travel, it is still a Himalayan trekking trail, so follow the itinerary and gently approach it.
Stroll on an excellent journeying course of Nepal with Langtang Valley Trek. Langtang Valley is additionally renowned as a valley of the glacier as it has over 70 glacial lakes. It is a short journey and lies near Kathmandu. You will travel to Langtang National Park, which is the primary Himalayan National Park of Nepal. The public park is wealthy in biodiversity. The creatures found in the area are Musk deer, red pandas, snow leopard, and the Himalayan wild bear.
Lounge in great mountains, including Langtang Lirung, Langtang Ri, Dorje Lakpa, and Tserko Ri. The dumbfounding Himalayan view from Kyanjin Gompa will leave an enduring effect. Similarly, the journey is a combo of adventure and a unique cultural experience. The region is mainly resided by the Tamangs ethnic groups, who are the descendants of Tibetans who migrated to Nepal.
Take a sneak look into the Tibetan Buddhism-influenced life of locals leading a vibrant life in the vicinity of mountains. It will be a delightful journey to indulge in the briefest schedule.
Major attractions of Kanchenjunga Trek:
- Experience the grandeur of the third highest peak of the world, Mt. Kanchenjunga trek
- Lush landscape, tropical jungles of rhododendron, oak, and chestnuts to the high-altitude alpine forests
- Learn about the Rai and Limbu ethnic group which is prevalent groups of this region and their rich culture, tradition, and lifestyle
- Pass through the Kanchenjunga conservation area, which shelters many endangered animals like snow leopard, red panda, or other species such as the Himalayan black bear or the Assamese macaque
- The trail is also famous for the perseverance of many species of birds
Significant concerns of Kanchenjunga Trek:
- Without a flexible itinerary, do not opt for the Kanchenjunga trek. It is an almost three weeks journey in the less-traveled area of Nepal, where facilities are limited.
- Similarly, altitude sickness is another primary concern of the Kanchenjunga trek because it hikes through high altitude regions.
World’s 3rd highest mountain, Kanchenjunga, signifies ‘Five Treasures of the Great Snow’ and alludes to the five pinnacles of the reach. Perhaps the best journey in Nepal, Kanchenjunga Trek, falls under the decision of fearless travelers. The trek is ideal for individuals who wish to relish in the continuous normal magnificence and look for experience. It is a less trampled course in the remote part of Nepal.
The sweeping views of the peaks from Kanchenjunga Base Camp are famous for leaving observers shocked and dazed. Witness the staggering views on taking off mountains like Kanchenjunga, Makalu, Mera Peak, and Jahnu Himal. Apart from stunning views, passes such as Sinon La, Mirgin La, and Sinelapche Bhanjyang are other incredible aspects of this beautiful journey. Similarly, stroll through the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area, which homes fascinating wild vegetation. Moreover, stunning Himalayan perspectives, rich green timberlands, icy masses, and beguiling towns make the trip an extraordinary experience.
Additionally, the journey will allow me to encounter attractive ethnic communities such as Rai, Limbu, and Sherpa. Tibetan Buddhism is broadly rehearsed around there, and you will discover Buddhist religious communities and stupas during the trip.
Makalu Base Camp Trek
Major attractions of Makalu Base Camp Trek
- It offers magnificent views of mountains like Mt. Makalu with other peaks like Mt. Everest, Mt. Lhotse, and Mt. Baruntse.
- The trail follows the Barun river valley in Makalu Barun National Park and crosses several high passes like Shipton La and Keke La on the route to Makalu Base Camp.
- The lush scenery of Arun valley
- It only attracts few travelers during a year due to its remote accessibility and the beaten trekking trail.
Major Concern of Makalu Base Camp Trek:
- The trekking route is segregated; thus, following a prior agreed itinerary is essential.
- Risk of altitude sickness
A trip to the fifth-highest mountains: Mt. Makalu, is a testing but fulfilling experience. Makalu Base Camp Trek is tolerably arduous yet satisfies your desire to enjoy Nepal’s typical excellence in remoteness. Additionally, Makalu Base Camp will compensate you with the great perspectives on Makalu, Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse, and Baruntse. Likewise, observe the beautiful and supreme view of the Kangshung face of Everest.
A climb past green terraced ranches, thick wilderness, cascades, and glacial masses will entrance you. The journey entails crossing high passes like Shipton La and Keke La on your approach to Makalu Base Camp. Similarly, it also includes Makalu Barun National Park, which is wealthy in Himalayan vegetation. The path descends through forested valleys before ascending over increasingly higher and steeper hills. It’s a rural village to village affair with plenty of cultural contact in the early stages. But the local interaction stops when you hike past the last town and meander through Alpine pasture before reaching base camp.
In general, the Kanchenjunga trek is not an easy journey as it goes past pretty remote scenes. Nonetheless, its remoteness and untouched essence- culturally and naturally has stolen the hearts of many travelers. As a result, many claim the Kanchenjunga trek to be their best trekking experience in Nepal.
Taking serious consideration and opinions of experts, we created this list. These 10 best treks in Nepal are are the personal favorite of many travelers; hence they made it on the list. If you are considering exploring your interest in trekking, please feel free to contact our travel experts. They will help you prepare the best journey that matches your expectation and showcases all the beautiful features of Nepal.