Get set to admire the fascinating beauty of far western region of Nepal. The off beaten track, beautiful scenery, wilderness of mountains along with the shimmering beauty of serene lakes, you will get dissolved in the lust of this beautiful combination during the Rara Lake trek.
Rara Lake Trek takes you to Rara National park and let you admire the shimmering beauty of Rara Lake that lies amidst the forest in the backdrop of beautiful Himalayas. Rara National Park was established in 1976 with a motive of preserving the serene and well preserved Rara Lake from adulteration and sedimentation. This pristine fresh water lake has been able to maintain its glory in between the park that preserves around one thousand and seventy four species of flowers, fifty one species of mammal and two hundred fourteen species of birds. The fertile land in the region makes the park a good land for growing medicinal plants. People who engaged in agriculture cultivate medicinal plants and sell them for earning.
Rara National Park is mostly a coniferous forest that provides home to the animals like musk deer, Himalayan black deer, Ghoral, leopards, red panda, the national bird of Nepal – Danfe (Impeyan pheasant), varieties of fish like snow trout and many more. Take an off beaten track to view the glory of biggest Lake of Nepal that sparkles brilliantly in between a lush forest under the shade of white glittering mountains. Rara Lake Trek can be a best trek for all the nature lovers and solitude travellers.
- Day 01 : Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
- Day 02 : Trek Preparation and Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
- Day 03 : Flight Kathmandu-Nepalganj
- Day 04 : Fly Nepalgunj to Jumla & trek to Chala Chaur (2900m)
- Day 05 : Cross a Pass
- Day 06 : Trek via Sinja (2440m) to Botan (2600m)
- Day 07 : Trek to Rara Park border
- Day 08 : Trek to Rara Lake (3062m)
- Day 09 : Rest days at Rara
- Day 10 : Trek via Jhyari (2630m) to River camp
- Day 11 : Across Ghurchi Lagna pass (3450m) to Chautha (2770m)
- Day 12 : Trek to Tharamara (3280m)
- Day 13 : Trek to Jumla
- Day 14 : Fly to Nepaljung – Kathmandu
- Day 15 : Leisure day in Kathmandu.
- Day 16 : Transfer to the International Airport for your home departure. B. “Farewell”
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & transfer by private car / van
- Four nights accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
- Kathmandu city tour as per the above itinerary
- One night accommodation in Nepaljung at hotel Batika
- KTM - Nepalgunj - Jumla - Nepalgunj - KTM airfare including departure tax
- Meals on full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea & coffee) prepared by our expert cook
- Twin sharing tented accommodation during the trek
- An experience guide (trained by Ministry of tourism), required number of porters, their food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipments
- Trekking equipment (two men tent, dining tent, kitchen tent, table with chairs, kitchen utensils, and other necessary equipments during the trek)
- Special trekking permit (Rara Lake trek is in restricted zone, we need special permit to visit this area)
- Rara Lake national park entry fees
- Nepal Hiking Team duffle bag, down jacket and sleeping bag during Lowe dolpo trek
- Nepal Hiking Team T - Shirt (yours to keep)
- Safe drinking water, boiled/iodine tablets.
- First aid medical kit bag.
- All government and local taxes.
- Office service charge.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Travel insurance
- International airfare
- Nepal entry visa: you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (a multiple-entry tourist visa good for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, multiple-entry tourist visas for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport-size photos.)
- All cold drinks such as: alcoholic beverages, mineral water, Coke, Fanta, juice, etc.
- Hot showers during the trek
- Personal shopping and laundry
- Personal trekking equipments
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is appreciated but it is not mandatory)
Day 01 : Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
You are welcomed by hospitable meeting and then you will be transferred to hotel. Our airport representative will explain briefly the program upon arrival. Overnight at hotel. B.B
Day 02 : Trek Preparation and Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing of world heritage sites in Kathmandu valley including, Kathmandu Darbar square, Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa & Pasupatinath Temple. Overnight at hotel. B.B
Day 03 : Flight Kathmandu-Nepalganj
To get to this region, generally you have to fly to Nepalgunj first. Nepalgunj is a steaming hot city in South Western Nepal, in the lowlands of Terai, close to the Indian border, which is just 8 km away. Culturally the area more resemble India than upland Nepal.
Take a cycle rikshaw for a ride in town. You pass the hustle and bustle of the bazaar and see horse carts full of colorful people going to or coming from the Indian border. The Bageshowri temple is one of Nepal’s most important Hindu temples and is worth a visit as well. Overnight at hotel. B.L.D
Day 04 : Fly Nepalgunj to Jumla & trek to Chala Chaur (2900m)
We take a thirty-minute scenic flight from Nepalgunj to Jumla. On reaching Jumla, we interact with the trekking crew and begin our trekking after lunch. We traverse northwards out of the Jumla Valley.
Soon after trekking for an hour, we encounter a small village of Micha bearing a small walled enclosure and a number of Buddhist stupas. These stupas were erected at around late 15th century, in the memory of important dignitaries of the region. The trail further leads to rock-strewn path and at last ends at Chala Chaur. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 05 : Cross a Pass
We leave Chala Chaur and follow a trail moving along path of steep stones. While ascending, we cross through birch, pine forests and grassy pass at approx 3500m.
From this point Kanjiroba becomes visible in the east with its twin peaks towering over the adjacent area. Further on, we descend as the trail opens into lush forests. After trekking for a couple of hours, we finally stop at a suitable campsite in the meadows nearby some shepherd's huts. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 06 : Trek via Sinja (2440m) to Botan (2600m)
We walk along the Jaljala Khola through pine forests of and terraced farmland. En route the trail passes the 300 year old Kanaksundari Temple. The temple holds immense religious significance for Hindus. The route further bends along the main river. Crossing a thick plank bridge, we finally descend to reach Sinja village. Sinja village rests upon a small alluvial plain on the west bank of the clear Lah Gad River, also called the Sinja Khola.
Sinja was once the ancient capital of the Malla kings. There are stones lying along the trail that foretell the history of Malla dynasty. After lunch, we head to Botan. On the way, we pass through a spectacular gorge and finally reach the village of Botan. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 07 : Trek to Rara Park border
Leaving Sinja Khola, we follow the trail along Ghatta Khola amid the unparallel beauty of nature. The sinuous route winds up into terraced farmland and beautiful valley. Soon we find ourselves within the territory of Rara Lake National Park.
We come across primitive flour mills and police post on the way. Rara Lake National Park houses unique and rich ecosystem. We can spend half an hour exploring the beauty of the park or simply doing whatever we feel like. We spend the night in Gorosingha. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 08 : Trek to Rara Lake (3062m)
We walk away from Gorosingha and ascend to the Ghurchi Mara ridge (3710m) for one and half hour.
The trail is not as strenuous as it looks. On reaching the crest of the ridge, we get to experience an excellent panorama to the north, flaunting irresistible beauty and charm. As the trail descends, Rara Lake becomes visible on the northeast. The trail further passes through bamboo and birch forests before crossing the Khatyar Khola.
We then follow the river upstream to Rara Lake, where we savor the most fascinating trekking experience amid the beauty of nature. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 09 : Rest days at Rara
We now have 2 days set aside to explore the area, including the old village of Rara. We can also climb up to the wooden observation tower behind the post office for fine views of the lake and surrounding hills. We can even visit the National Park Headquarters. Swimming is allowed in the lake and it is piercingly refreshing. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 10 : Trek via Jhyari (2630m) to River camp
We depart from Rara Lake and continue skirting along the target destination. On crossing a ridge, we enter the village of Jhyari. Strolling by the Jhyari Khola, the trail further follows terraced farmlands. As we approach Dhauligar Khola valley, we find a suitable camp site near the river bank. We also get to witness an exotic charisma of nature and outstanding panorama of snow-capped mountain peaks. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 11 : Across Ghurchi Lagna pass (3450m) to Chautha (2770m)
As Dhauligar Khola blurs out of our trekking route, we pass through farmland and then enter the village of Pina. Pina has a police post and some hotels. We continue climbing to the Ghurchi Lagna Pass and come across several small Chortens, alpine-like pastures, walnut groves and a narrow valley. Finally, the steep slope guides us into the village of Chautha where we conclude the trek of the day. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 12 : Trek to Tharamara (3280m)
From Chautha, the trail follows the northern bank of the Sinja Khola past the hotel and health clinic under the massive overhanging rock at Kabra. Silaji found in this area is the source of the important medicinal mineral which is believed to cure almost anything. The route then passes through the villages of Bumra and Nyawre, before climbing to the pasture at Tharamara. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 13 : Trek to Jumla
Following the trail gently sloping upwards, we march towards Jumla. We meet tall birch trees on our way to the Khali Lagna and Danphe Lekh. From atop the ridge, we can have the most spectacular views of the mountain ridges to the south and Jumla below.
Further on, we descend steeply to the first night's campsite. Utmost caution is required while trekking along this trail. We then follow the same route back to Jumla. After reaching Jumla, we can spend our afternoon exploring the busy market town or simply pursuing whatever we feel like. Overnight at tented camp. B.L.D
Day 14 : Fly to Nepaljung – Kathmandu
We take a flight from Jumla to Nepalgunj. On reaching Nepalgunj, we return to Kathmandu on the next available flight. Overnight at hotel. B.L.D
Day 15 : Leisure day in Kathmandu.
Leisure day in Kathmandu. Overnight at hotel. B.B
Day 16 : Transfer to the International Airport for your home departure. B. “Farewell”
Transfer to the International Airport for your home departure. B. “Farewell”
If the above itinerary does not meet your needs, we can design individualized travel plans based on your preferences.