Nar Phu Valley Trek is a rugged and wild trek that takes you to the exotic valley of Nar Phu, one of the remote and alluring regions located on the north of Annapurna. This exotic land offers medieval Tibetan culture in undisturbed form, dramatic mountain views and great alpine scenery. Being a newly opened trekking destination, it is a seldom travelled route with a unique combination of high peaks and passes, glaciers, remote villages, narrow canyons, lovely forests, amazing rock formations, yaks, Gompas and unique Himalayan cultures.
Passing through the Chorten gate that labels the entrance to Nar Phu and traversing through the Himalayan pine trees, we encounter high plateaus and remote Tibetan villages built of stone. Ancient Buddhist monasteries and grand views of the Annapurna Range are the major attractions. The diverse cultural and mountain aspect of this trip is simply outstanding.
Nar Phu valley Trek is a restricted trekking trail. A special trekking permit through government registered Nepal trekking Agency and minimum two people are required to obtain Nar Phu valley trekking permit. The trek commences at Jagat, 7-8 hours drive from Kathmandu and follows the trial of Annapurna Circuit trek until Koto. Then the trial ascends to the beautiful valley of Nar Phu.
- Day 1: Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
- Day 2: Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
- Day 3: Drive Kathmandu to Synge/Jagat (1100m) Duration: 8 hrs
- Day 4: Trek to Dharapani (1960m) Duration: 6 hrs
- Day 5: Trek to Koto (2610m) Duration: 6 hrs
- Day 6: Trek to Meta (3560m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 7: Trek to Phu Gaon (4250m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 8: Acclimatization day in Phu Gaon
- Day 9: Trek to Nar (4110m) Duration: 07 hrs
- Day 10: Rest and acclimatization day
- Day 11: Trek to Ngwal (3660m) via the Kangla Pass (5322m) Duration: 8 hrs
- Day 12: Trek to Manang (3540m) Duration: 4 hrs
- Day 13: Sightseeing in Manang village
- Day 14: Trek to Yak Kharka (4,110m) Duration: 3 - 4 hours
- Day 15: Trek to Thorong Phedi (4,600m) Duration: 3 - 4 hrs
- Day 16: Trek to Muktinath (3800m) crossing over Thorong La Pass (5416m) Duration: 7/8 hrs
- Day 17: Trek to Jomsom (2600m) Duration: 5 hrs
- Day 18: Fly back to Pokhara
- Day 19: Drive back to Kathmandu
- Day 20: Leisure day
- Day 21: Farewell
- Airport / hotel / airport pick up & transfer by private car
- Four nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
- A night accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Pokhara
- Kathmandu city tours, including, tour guide and private vehicle
- Full board meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Best available twin sharing lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek
- One highly experienced, helpful and friendly guide, porter (1 porter for 2 people) and their food, accommodation, salary, equipment, and accidental insurance for all staff
- Kathmandu – Beshisahar transportation by private car and Beshisahar – Syange by public jeep
- Jomsom – Pokhara airfare including departure tax
- Pokhara – Kathmandu transportation by private vehicle
- Nepal Hiking Team duffle bag, down jacket and sleeping bag during the trek
- Nepal Hiking Team T – shirt, trekking map and trip achievement certificate
- First aid medical kit
- Annapurna conservation permit fee and Nar Phu special trekking permits
- TIMS Fee- Trekkers’ Information Management System (Please bring 2 passport size photos for permit)
- Government taxes & office service charge
- Meals not specified in the ‘Meal Inclusions’ in the itinerary’
- Travel insurance
- International airfare
- Nepal entry visa: you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (a multiple-entry tourist visa good for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, multiple-entry tourist visas for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport-size photos.)
- All kind of drinks (hot and cold)
- Hot showers during the trek
- Personal trekking equipments
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is appreciated but it is not mandatory)
Day 1: Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
You will be picked up by our airport representative and transferred to a hotel for check in. You will then be explained about the program further. There are no planned activities for the day. Enjoy your stay at the hotel.
Day 2: Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
Today, we start our sightseeing tour in Kathmandu Valley which includes the cultural heritages in Kathmandu valley i.e. Kathmandu Durbar Square, Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa and Pasupatinath Temple. Enjoy the artistic palace, art, culture, paintings and history of Nepal. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 3: Drive Kathmandu to Synge/Jagat (1100m) Duration: 8 hrs
After breakfast, we drive to Beshisahar. We then take a local jeep from Beshisahar to Syange. This drive gives you some insights about the rural people, their lifestyle and their culture. From Syange, we start our trek. We walk to Jagat. Overnight at Guesthouse, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included.
Day 4: Trek to Dharapani (1960m) Duration: 6 hrs
After breakfast, we leave Jagat. Our trail winds up to Chyamje. After crossing a suspension bridge, the trail goes uphill through the Oak forest. We continue walking for a while until the trail emerges into a valley. We pass a village of Kodo and ascend to a village of Dharapani. Overnight at Guesthouse, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Included.
Day 5: Trek to Koto (2610m) Duration: 6 hrs
A difficult trek today, up and over two hills, through apple orchards and Manangi villages. Manaslu, Himchuli, Lamjung Himal and Annapurna II are amongst some of the magical mountains on view today. Overnight stay at the local-house, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Included.
Day 6: Trek to Meta (3560m) Duration: 7 hrs
A trek through a thick pine and rhododendron forest, following the Naar Khola River brings us to Meta. We will not see any lodges or teahouses until we get to Meta so we will bring a packed lunch with us from Koto. Overnight stay at the local-house, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Included
Day 7: Trek to Phu Gaon (4250m) Duration: 7 hrs
We follow the Phu Khola, through an almost desert valley, enjoying stunning views of Kangaroo Mountain, Pokharkan and Amotsang Himal. It is a gradual incline today, not too difficult. The first migrants from Tibet settled in Phu Gaon nearly 200 years ago, we will stay here for the night in a very basic, local teahouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 8: Acclimatization day in Phu Gaon
We will stay an extra day here to acclimatize to the increasing elevation. We can wonder around the town, talk to the local people and visit the ancient monastery that was built by the first Tibetan migrants. basic, local teahouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 9: Trek to Nar (4110m) Duration: 07 hrs
We again take a packed lunch, as there will be no lodges or restaurants along the way today. We descend to Mahayandra Pool. The old King of Nepal once visited here and financed the bridge you will see crossing the River Naar Khola. We then take a steep descent all the way to Nar where we will stay in a teahouse for the night. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 10: Rest and acclimatization day
We will see amazing panoramic views from here of Pisang Peak, Kangaroo, Pokharkan and Amodsang Himal as we relax for the day before some more strenuous trekking in the. We can take a short 2 hour hike to help us acclimatize and for some more pleasant mountain vistas. Overnight at the tea-house, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 11: Trek to Ngwal (3660m) via the Kangla Pass (5322m) Duration: 8 hrs
A challenging day ahead, we need to leave Ngwal by 4 am to be able to conquer today’s difficult trek. A gradual incline for 2 hours before we will need to scramble up a steep, rocky track. You will not be disappointed when you reach the top and all your efforts will be worth it, you will be awestruck by a mountain paradise. 360 degree, panoramic views of these snow-capped, majestic mountains await you. We then descend down a very steep track to Ngwal and our teahouse for the night. Overnight at the tea-house, breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Day 12: Trek to Manang (3540m) Duration: 4 hrs
A well-deserved and welcomed easy trekking route today, through the pine forest and local Manang and Gurung villages. Manang is one of the main villages in the area and is the home to a very beautiful monastery. We stay the night in a local teahouse. The level of accommodation now improves and probably seems quite luxurious compared to the teahouses of the previous nights in the more remote regions. Overnight at the Guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 13: Sightseeing in Manang village
We spend our time visiting monastery, side trip to Gangapurna Lake and doing some excursions with the wonderful views around the villages. We can also visit Himalayan Rescue Association Clinic. Overnight at Guesthouse, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included.
Day 14: Trek to Yak Kharka (4,110m) Duration: 3 - 4 hours
From Manang village, the trail crosses a stream, climbs to a village of Tenki above Manang, and then continues to climb out of the Marshyangdi Valley turning northwest up the valley of Jarsang Khola. The trail follows this valley northward, passing a few pastures, a scrub of juniper trees, as it steadily gains elevation. The trail further passes near the small village of Ghunsa, a cluster of flat mud roofs just below the trailhead.
Now the trail goes through meadows where horses and yaks graze. After crossing a small river on a wooden bridge, the trail passes an ancient old Mani wall in a pleasant meadow and then reaches another small village of Yak Kharka. Little but Gradual ascent is the key to avoiding altitude problems. Overnight at Guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 15: Trek to Thorong Phedi (4,600m) Duration: 3 - 4 hrs
We make our way to the foot of the pass, Throng Phedi today. Thorong Phedi is a small busy settlement catering to the needs of tired trekkers and climbers.
Trekkers like us use this point as a base camp. Some visitors also attempt a hike to the High Camp today so that the next day can be easier for them.
But, Himalayan Glacier's team leader does not advise for this. Although we will have a tough day tomorrow, we stop at Thorong Phedi so that we can sleep sound rather than a risky sleep in higher altitude at High Camp. Overnight at Thorong Phedi. Overnight at Guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 16: Trek to Muktinath (3800m) crossing over Thorong La Pass (5416m) Duration: 7/8 hrs
Today, early in the morning, we start our climb to the pass. The initial stage of the ascend is very steep. As we approach the peak it becomes much sloppier. After making our way through rocky ridges, we will be on the top of the pass (5416m).
The top offers an unexplainable 360 degree panorama of snow capped peaks extending northwards into Tibet. Looking back, we can view several peaks of Annapurna and in front of us is the unfathomable gorge of Kali Gandaki. Our trail then descends steeply down to Muktinath (3800m) an important pilgrimage sight for Hindus. It is a home to many ethnic Tibetans and holy Buddhists as well. Overnight at Guesthouse, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included.
Day 17: Trek to Jomsom (2600m) Duration: 5 hrs
After our visit to the holy temple of Muktinath, we make our way to Jomsom. Overnight at Guesthouse, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included.
Day 18: Fly back to Pokhara
We take a morning flight to Pokhara. Upon arrival, we check in the hotel. You can spend the day exploring the Pokhara city. Overnight at Hotel, breakfast included.
Day 19: Drive back to Kathmandu
Today, we drive back to Kathmandu by tourist bus. After a six hours drive, we will be in Kathmandu. Overnight at Hotel, Breakfast included.
Day 20: Leisure day
Today is a leisure day. You can either rest or explore the Kathmandu city, as per your inclination. You can also use the day for shopping. Overnight at hotel, Breakfast included.
Day 21: Farewell
Approximately 3 hours before the scheduled flight, a representative from the Nepal Hiking Team will take you to the airport for your onward journey.
If the above itinerary does not meet your needs, we can design individualized travel plans based on your preferences.