Relish your journey to the hidden treasure of Nepal in the backdrop of two massif mountains i.e. Annapurna and Dhaulagiri range. Trekking in the Mustang region is an amazing experience as you make your way along the deepest gorge of the world i.e. Kali Gandaki gorge to the dry and barren lands to admire the fascinating views of mountains like Annapurna panorama, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Himchuli, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Machapuchare, Mt. Tukuche and many more. The lower Mustang Trek occupies the southern edges of Tibetan plateau and has similar landscape like that of the Tibetan plateaus – wild, dry and barren. Lower Mustang trek is not just about its unique wild landscape and deepest gorge of the world but it is about the vibrant villages that you pass along the way, sunrise and sunset view amidst the mountains, unique cultural encounter, biological diversity and the famous spiritual hub of Hindus and Buddhist i.e. Muktinath.
The first fascinating experience of the journey is the mesmerizing sunrise view from Poon Hill. Watching the glorious golden rays rise above the snow clad mountainous panorama is an amazing experience. Taking bath in the natural hot water spring in Tatopani may act as an ailment to all the tiredness from your walk till the day. Similarly, as you follow you trail, you will pass some amazing villages like Ghasa, Marpha, Kagbeni, Jomsom and many more. The cultural encounter and interaction with locals is an amazing way to get some insights about people, lifestyle, culture and tradition. The narrow alleyways with flat roofed and white washed buildings in Marpha are unique. The village is also popular for apples that are locally grown in the area. Likewise, Jomsom is a buzzling settlement in the area that consists of many hotels, shops, banks and other government offices.
The major highlight of this trek is Muktinath. Muktinath is a popular spiritual hub that attracts many Hindu and Buddhist pilgrims around the world every year. Muktinath temple in actual is a symbol of harmony that two religion namely Hinduism and Buddhism share. There is a temple of Lord Vishnu in this place which is accompanied by a Gompa. The eternal flame that burns here with the help of natural gas is an attraction that leaves everyone in wonder. So, get ready to experience the beauty of Himalayas as you walk along the wild and barren terrain enjoying the unique Tibetan influenced Buddhist culture. Nepal Hiking Team is all set to take you to the Lower Mustang region of Nepal.
- Day 01 : Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
- Day 02 : Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
- Day 03 : Drive to Pokhara (910 m) by tourist bus, 6 hrs
- Day 04 : Drive to Nayapul (1,010m) Duration 1 hour and Trek to Tikhedhunga (1,570m) Duration 4 hrs
- Day 05 : Trek to Ghorepani (2850m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 06 : Hike up to Poon Hill (3,210m/10529ft) and onto Tadapani (1200m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 07 : Trek to Ghasa (2120m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 08 : Trek to Tukuche (2560m) Duration: 5 hrs
- Day 09 : Trek to Kagbeni (2800m) Duration: 5 hrs
- Day 10 : Trek to Muktinath (3800m) Duration: 4 hrs
- Day 11 : Trek to Jomsom (2600m)
- Day 12 : Morning flight to Pokhara, 20-minutes.
- Day 13 : Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Day 14 : Farewell
- All airport/hotel transfers by private vehicle
- Three nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
- Two night accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Pokhara
- Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu with a tour guide and all temples/monuments entrance fees
- Round trip flight from Pokhara to Jomsom and Jomsom to Pokhara including departure taxes
- Meals with tea/coffee (breakfast, lunch, dinner) during the trek
- Best available twin sharing lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek
- An experienced English-speaking (trekking guide), porter to carry luggage (2 trekkers: 1 porter) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- Down jacket, four seasonal sleeping bag, Nepal Hiking Team duffel bag, t-shirt, and trekking map (down jacket and sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion)
- All necessary paper work and permits (ACAP, Special trekking permit), please bring 3 passport size photos for permit
- Surface transfer from Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus
- A comprehensive medical kit
- All government and local taxes
- Meals not specified in the 'Meal Inclusions' in the itinerary'
- Travel insurance
- International airfare
- Optional tours and activities during free time
- Nepal entry visa: you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (a multiple-entry tourist visa good for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, multiple-entry tourist visas for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport-size photos.)
- Drinks (hot and cold), snacks and other personal expenses
- Hot shower during the trek
- Personal trekking equipments
- Tips and gratuities for trekking staff and drivers
Day 01 : Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
Arrive in Kathmandu at any time. Our airport representative will welcome you and explain the program further. There are no planned activities for the day, so check into the hotel. Enjoy your overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 02 : Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing of world heritage sites in Kathmandu valley including, Kathmandu Darbar square, Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa & Pasupatinath Temple. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 03 : Drive to Pokhara (910 m) by tourist bus, 6 hrs
Your guide will pick you up at the hotel at 6:30am and escort you to the bus station. The tourist bus to Pokhara leaves at around 7:30am. The scenery along the road is dramatic and you will see the river, valleys, cascading rice terraces and rocky gorges. Upon arrival, check in hotel, in the evening, you may enjoy leisure boating on the scenic Fewa Lake and see the reflection of the Mount Machhapuchhre and Annapurna Range on the crystal clear water of the Lake. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 04 : Drive to Nayapul (1,010m) Duration 1 hour and Trek to Tikhedhunga (1,570m) Duration 4 hrs
We begin our trek at Nayapul after an hour drive on a private vehicle from Pokhara. After a short 15-minute walk along the banks of the Modi Khola, we reach Birethanti (1,015m) a large village with many shops and teahouses. From there, the trail continues through the village and follows the north bank of the Bhurungdi Khola. The trail climbs steadily up the side of the valley to Hille at 1,495m and after a short climb, we reach Tikhedhunga at 1,570m. Today's walk is relatively short and easy, a prelude to the trekking experience in the Annapurna region. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 05 : Trek to Ghorepani (2850m) Duration: 7 hrs
From Tikhe Dhunga the trail crosses a stream on a suspension bridge near the camp site at Tikhe Dhunga. The trail ascends a steep stone staircase (which has about 3300 steps) to the large Magar village of Ulleri at 2080m. Above the village, the trail climbs gently through pastures and cultivated fields.
There is a camp site for a rest and water stop one hour’s walk above Ulleri. The trail crosses two sparkling streams before making a short, final climb to Nangethanti where we stop for lunch. Thanti is a Nepali word meaning "rest house”. In the winter the trail can be covered with snow. From Nangethanti we will climb to Ghorepani at 2850m, from here we can see the spectacular panorama of Dhaulagiri I (8167m), Nilgiri (6940m) Annapurna I (8091m) Hiunchuli (6441m) and more. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 06 : Hike up to Poon Hill (3,210m/10529ft) and onto Tadapani (1200m) Duration: 7 hrs
This morning, we will get up early and hike to Poon Hill 3,210m/10529ft). From here you will see a superb view of the sunrise and a panoramic view of the Himalaya, including Mt. Dhaulagiri, Annapurna South, Fishtail, and others. After visiting Poonhill, we will come back to Ghorepani, have a hot breakfast, and continue walking to Tatopani. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 07 : Trek to Ghasa (2120m) Duration: 7 hrs
The trek now starts up the Kali Gandaki valley, which is said to be the deepest gorge in the world Here we will enjoy a beautiful day’s walking along the Kali Gandaki riverside, gradually ascending into sub-tropical vegetation. We will cross the Bhalu Khola on a high suspension bridges before arriving at Dana (1450m) Around 30 minutes from Dana we will see a very high waterfall: Rupse Chhahara (which translates as “beautiful waterfall”). From there we will continue through the steepest and narrowest part of the Kali Gandaki valley, where much of the route is cut through solid rock. We will cross the river again on a 120m long bridge to the east side. We will continue on to Ghasa, an ethnic Thakali village and this marks the southernmost limit of Tibetan Buddhism in the valley. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 08 : Trek to Tukuche (2560m) Duration: 5 hrs
The trail follows the Kali Gandaki River, passing through a narrow gorge before reaching Thakali traditional villages. Today we will cross the gorge and river numerous times via long suspension bridges, which make great photo opportunities. We will pass a couple of villages (e.g. Lete, Kalopani and Kokhethati). On the way we can see the top of Dhaulagiri Mountain peeking over the west side. We will end our day in the village of Tukuche. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 09 : Trek to Kagbeni (2800m) Duration: 5 hrs
An easy and lovely day’s walking where we will first see the village of Khobang, which has narrow alleyways and tunnels connecting houses. We can make short side trip to the Kanti Gompa (a Buddhist temple). Then our route continues to Marpha, one of the most important place for Apple. We can see a wine-brandy distillery here and walk through the orange orchard street. We will continue our trek for another 2 hours before reaching our day’s final destination at Jomsom, Here we will have lunch then trek continue along the Kaligandaki river passing though Eklai Bhatti. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 10 : Trek to Muktinath (3800m) Duration: 4 hrs
Today we will do the 1000 meter ascend to Muktinath which is an important pilgrimage place for both Hindu and Buddhist. We will first walk through Khingar (3400m) and then onto Jharkot (3500m), which is an impressive fortress like village.
We will continue our way to the first part of Muktinath which is known as Ranipauwa, where we will stay the night. There will be time to explore the area and see some of the holy Hindu places like an eternal flame coming from natural gas next to a spring which is considered holy as well. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 11 : Trek to Jomsom (2600m)
Trek to Jomsom (2600m) Duration: 5 hrs. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 12 : Morning flight to Pokhara, 20-minutes.
Morning flight to Pokhara, 20-minutes. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 13 : Pokhara to Kathmandu
Scenic drive back to Kathmandu by tourist bus, 6 hrs. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 14 : Farewell
Approximately 3 hours before the scheduled flight a representative from Nepal Hiking Team will take you to the airport.
If the above itinerary does not meet your needs, we can design individualized travel plans based on your preferences.