Opt out for a perfect blend of nature and culture in the backdrop of wild Himalayas! Jomsom Muktinath Trek takes you along a holy trail to taste the contrast of Himalayan adventure and spirituality. Walk through a rugged trail to the wild; desert like landscape and endeavour all the beauty that Jomson and Muktinath can shower!
Jomsom Muktinath Trek is a classic trek that takes you along some attractive regions in Annapurna like Poon Hill, Kagbeni, Muktinath, Kaligandaki gorge and Jomsom. You initiate your journey from Nayapul and pass various ethnic settlement villages in between. You continue walking under the shade of rhododendron and fir forest enjoying the vistas of Annapurna at its best. Poon Hill, a vantage point in the region offers the majestic views of Annapurna panorama! The sunrise view from this vantage point adds to the beauty of mountains and leaves you in awe. As you leave Poon hill, you follow your way along the dry and rough terrain to Kagbeni. A walk along the deepest gorge in the world – Kaligandaki gorge showers you with impressive views of Annapurna panorama and Dhaulagiri Himal.
Next attraction of the journey is Muktinath temple! It is a popular spiritual site for Hindu and Buddhist pilgrims. As per Buddhist mythology, Muktinath is a place where Guru Ripoche had meditated on his journey to Tibet. There is a Gompa built in this place that enhances its spirituality. Similarly, Muktinath is a popular temple of Lord Vishnu. The eternal flame in the temple is a major attraction. Another attraction is the courtyard of the temple that consists of 108 bull faced spouts that pours out cold water. A bath in that cold water is believed to purify your heart and your soul!
Jomsom is a popular village of Gurung people known for its lush landscape and hostile people. Receive a warm greeting from Gurung people as you make your way to Jomsom after a long and tiring journey via Muktinath!
Jomsom Muktinath is a well-designed trek suitable to those who can endure the high elevation regions and walk along a rough and dry terrain. So, if you feel you can do it, join Nepal Hiking Team to enjoy the beauty of Trans Himalayas in Nepal.
- Day 1: Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
- Day 2: Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
- Day 3: Drive to Pokhara (910 m) by tourist bus, 6 hrs
- Day 4: Drive to Nayapul (1,010m) Duration 1 hour and Trek to Tikhedhunga (1,570m) Duration 4 hrs
- Day 5: Trek to Ghorepani (2850m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 6: Hike up to Poon Hill (3,210m/10529ft) and onto Tadapani (1200m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 7: Trek to Ghasa (2120m) Duration: 7 hrs
- Day 8: Trek to Tukuche (2560m) Duration: 5 hrs
- Day 9: Trek to Kagbeni (2800m) Duration: 5 hrs
- Day 10: Trek to Muktinath (3800m) Duration: 4 hrs
- Day 11: Trek to Jomsom (2600m)
- Day 12: Morning flight to Pokhara,
- Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Day 14: Farewell
- All airports/hotels transfers by private vehicle
- Three nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu including all entrance fee and private vehicle
- Two nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Pokhara
- Full board meals with tea/coffee (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek
- One highly experienced, helpful and friendly guide, porters (1 porter for 2 people) and their food, accommodation, salary, equipment, and insurance
- Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Kathmandu transfer by tourist bus
- Jomsom – Pokhara airfare including departure tax
- Nepal Hiking Team duffle bag, down jacket and sleeping bag during trek
- Nepal Hiking Team T – Shirt (yours to keep)
- Annapurna conservation permit
- TIMS Fee- Trekkers’ Information Management System
- Government taxes & office service charge
- Meals not specified in the ‘Meal Inclusions’ in the itinerary’
- Travel insurance
- International airfare
- Nepal entry visa: you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (a multiple-entry tourist visa good for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $ 40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, multiple-entry tourist visas for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $ 100. Please bring 2 copies of passport-size photos.)
- All kind of cold drinks e.g. water, coke, fanta, juice etc.
- Personal trekking equipments
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is appreciated but it is not mandatory)
Day 1: Arrive at Tribhuwan International Airport (TIA) Kathmandu
Arrive in Kathmandu at any time. Our airport representative will welcome you and explain the program further. There are no planned activities for the day, so check into the hotel. Enjoy your overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 2: Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing of world heritage sites in Kathmandu valley including, Kathmandu Darbar square, Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa & Pasupatinath Temple. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 3: Drive to Pokhara (910 m) by tourist bus, 6 hrs
Your guide will pick you up at the hotel at 6:30am and escort you to the bus station. The tourist bus to Pokhara leaves at around 7:30am. The scenery along the road is dramatic and you will see the river, valleys, cascading rice terraces and rocky gorges. Upon arrival, check in hotel, in the evening, you may enjoy leisure boating on the scenic Fewa Lake and see the reflection of the Mount Machhapuchhre and Annapurna Range on the crystal clear water of the Lake. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 4: Drive to Nayapul (1,010m) Duration 1 hour and Trek to Tikhedhunga (1,570m) Duration 4 hrs
We begin our trek at Nayapul after an hour drive on a private vehicle from Pokhara. After a short 15-minute walk along the banks of the Modi Khola, we reach Birethanti (1,015m) a large village with many shops and teahouses. From there, the trail continues through the village and follows the north bank of the Bhurungdi Khola. The trail climbs steadily up the side of the valley to Hille at 1,495m and after a short climb, we reach Tikhedhunga at 1,570m. Today's walk is relatively short and easy, a prelude to the trekking experience in the Annapurna region. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 5: Trek to Ghorepani (2850m) Duration: 7 hrs
From Tikhe Dhunga the trail crosses a stream on a suspension bridge near the camp site at Tikhe Dhunga. The trail ascends a steep stone staircase (which has about 3300 steps) to the large Magar village of Ulleri at 2080m. Above the village, the trail climbs gently through pastures and cultivated fields. There is a camp site for a rest and water stop one hour’s walk above Ulleri. The trail crosses two sparkling streams before making a short, final climb to Nangethanti where we stop for lunch. Thanti is a Nepali word meaning "rest house”. In the winter the trail can be covered with snow. From Nangethanti we will climb to Ghorepani at 2850m, from here we can see the spectacular panorama of Dhaulagiri I (8167m), Nilgiri (6940m) Annapurna I (8091m) Hiunchuli (6441m) and more. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 6: Hike up to Poon Hill (3,210m/10529ft) and onto Tadapani (1200m) Duration: 7 hrs
This morning, we will get up early and hike to Poon Hill 3,210m/10529ft). From here you will see a superb view of the sunrise and a panoramic view of the Himalaya, including Mt. Dhaulagiri, Annapurna South, Fishtail, and others. After visiting Poonhill, we will come back to Ghorepani, have a hot breakfast, and continue walking to Tatopani. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 7: Trek to Ghasa (2120m) Duration: 7 hrs
The trek now starts up the Kali Gandaki valley, which is said to be the deepest gorge in the world Here we will enjoy a beautiful day’s walking along the Kali Gandaki riverside, gradually ascending into sub-tropical vegetation. We will cross the Bhalu Khola on a high suspension bridges before arriving at Dana (1450m) Around 30 minutes from Dana we will see a very high waterfall: Rupse Chhahara (which translates as “beautiful waterfall”). From there we will continue through the steepest and narrowest part of the Kali Gandaki valley, where much of the route is cut through solid rock. We will cross the river again on a 120m long bridge to the east side. We will continue on to Ghasa, an ethnic Thakali village and this marks the southernmost limit of Tibetan Buddhism in the valley. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 8: Trek to Tukuche (2560m) Duration: 5 hrs
The trail follows the Kali Gandaki River, passing through a narrow gorge before reaching Thakali traditional villages. Today we will cross the gorge and river numerous times via long suspension bridges, which make great photo opportunities. We will pass a couple of villages (e.g. Lete, Kalopani and Kokhethati). On the way we can see the top of Dhaulagiri Mountain peeking over the west side. We will end our day in the village of Tukuche. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 9: Trek to Kagbeni (2800m) Duration: 5 hrs
An easy and lovely day’s walking where we will first see the village of Khobang, which has narrow alleyways and tunnels connecting houses. We can make short side trip to the Kanti Gompa (a Buddhist temple). Then our route continues to Marpha, one of the most important place for Apple. We can see a wine-brandy distillery here and walk through the orange orchard street. We will continue our trek for another 2 hours before reaching our day’s final destination at Jomsom, Here we will have lunch then trek continue along the Kaligandaki river passing though Eklai Bhatti. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 10: Trek to Muktinath (3800m) Duration: 4 hrs
Today we will do the 1000 meter ascend to Muktinath which is an important pilgrimage place for both Hindu and Buddhist. We will first walk through Khingar (3400m) and then onto Jharkot (3500m), which is an impressive fortress like village. We will continue our way to the first part of Muktinath which is known as Ranipauwa, where we will stay the night. There will be time to explore the area and see some of the holy Hindu places like an eternal flame coming from natural gas next to a spring which is considered holy as well. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 11: Trek to Jomsom (2600m)
Trek to Jomsom (2600m) Duration: 5 hrs. Overnight at guesthouse, breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 12: Morning flight to Pokhara,
Morning flight to Pokhara, 20-minutes. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu
Scenic drive back to Kathmandu by tourist bus, 6 hrs. Overnight at hotel, breakfast included.
Day 14: Farewell
Approximately 3 hours before the scheduled flight a representative from Nepal Hiking Team will take you to the airport.
If the above itinerary does not meet your needs, we can design individualized travel plans based on your preferences.