Already booked a trekking package to the mountains of Nepal and still wondering about the essential equipment for your trekking journey? We are pleased to offer our checklist for your reference. You can make necessary amendments to our checklist as per your need and convenience. In case you couldn’t get any of the following listed items in your hometown or be in a rush before your flight to Kathmandu, don’t panic! The equipment necessary can be easily purchased in the shops in Kathmandu.
Again, if you are worried about the quality of gears available in Kathmandu, most of them are manufactured locally, and some are imported from China and are of awesome quality. Remember to keep your luggage as light as possible for convenient travel. A porter is available for two people who will carry up to 25 kg at maximum. Therefore, keep this in mind before you pack your bags!
Below is the checklist of equipment you need for the trek.
Duffel or Rucksack bag: We supply complimentary duffel/kit bags, but one extra big duffel bag/suitcase is necessary for non-trek items left at the hotel in Kathmandu.
Day pack: (Approximately 20-22 Liter)
Down Jacket: NHT will supply a complimentary down jacket which needs to be returned after the trek.
4 seasons’ Sleeping bag: NHT supplies a complimentary sleeping bag that needs to be returned after the trek.
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals)
- Gaiters for hiking in winter
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Under Garments
- Hiking shorts
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece pants (seasonal)
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece Jacket
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (Optional)
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket
- Sleeping bag rated to zero degrees F *
- Headlamp (e.g., Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Large plastic bags – for keeping Items dry inside trek bag
- Day pack (Approximately 20-22 Liter)
- Trekking Poles
- Water bottles
- Toiletries (Small wash towel, Toilet papers, etc.)
- Multipurpose soap
- Nail cutter
- Small mirror
- Wet wipes (baby wipes)
- Tissue /toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial hands wash